[CppAD] Problem with https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/CppAD/stable/1.0/CppAD

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Tue Oct 10 07:39:58 EDT 2006

User Builds
-----------
Michael is correct in that CppAD does not yet support user builds off
the svn data base. I am currently trying to work out with the Coin-Or
folks how this could be done.

The problem is that there are certain files in the distribution that are
not source code. For example, the config.h and configure files are not
source code. As a much larger example, the entire help systems is not
source code. It is built from the source code using OMhelp. The tarball
distributions of CppAD include their own help, which is fixed, while the
bleeding edge help is located at
    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/cppad.htm
and keeps changing.

The current intention for user stable versions is to get a tarball and
keep using it until there is a new feature that is wanted, is see in
    http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/whatsnew06.htm ,
and that was added between the date of the user's version and the
feature date in the whatsnew file. Then, upgrade to the current tarball.

Developer Builds
----------------
You can do a "developer build" from the svn data base (provided that you
have all the necessary tools, such as autoconf, automake, ...). If you
are brave, you can try running the script
    https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/CppAD/stable/1.0/Build
(It is called Build.sh in newer versions of the trunk). First try it
with no arguments to get its help message. Then try it one step at a
time. (Save the all options for when you are really brave and have some
experience.) If you do this, you will find that you need to install
OMhelp; see
    http://www.seanet.com/~bradbell/omhelp/installunix.htm

Version 1.0
Version 1.0 is before the dual licensing change. Dual licensing required
changing just about every file in the data base and automatically
editing the files while building the tarballs. Hence I decided it would
be good to mark a stable version before that change.