[Couenne] Rounding NLP heuristic

Akshay Gupte akshayg at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 31 17:42:56 EDT 2011

Pietro,
I am testing some continuous NLP problems with Couenne. Although these problems are large in size (~300 variables), I know some trivial feasible solutions. However, Couenne is unable to find any feasible solution after a long time (many hours). When I solved the NLP with Ipopt, I do get a nontrivial feasible solution without providing any starting point of my own.

Does this mean that for NLPs, Couenne does not really try to solve the NLP with a local optimizer at some nodes in the branch-and-bound tree ? Is there any heuristic in-built specifically for NLPs ?

Regards,
Akshay Gupte
PhD student, Operations Research
Georgia Institute of Technology