[Couenne] Please add support for floor and ceil functions in COUENNE

Pietro Belotti belotti at lehigh.edu
Thu Nov 19 16:11:22 EST 2009

Dear Daniel,

first, please direct all your questions to the Couenne mailing list,
couenne at list.coin-or.org (which I copy in this reply). Second, while I
do plan to include ceiling and floor functions, you may consider
modeling them yourself with constraints involving integer variables.
For instance, the expression

floor(x)

could be replaced by a new, *integer* variable y provided you also add
the following constraints:

y <= x
y >= x - (1 - 1e-7)

The small epsilon 1e-7 is necessary in order not to exclude any
solution and to ensure that indeed y=floor(x). It also means that, if
t is the tolerance for checking integrality, no feasible solution will
have x between, say, 5+t and 5+1e-7. Analogously, ceil(x) can be
easily replaced by an integer variable z and the constraints:

z >= x
y <= x + (1 - 1e-7)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pietro Belotti, Lehigh University
Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering
200 W Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015.
phone: 610-758-3865   fax: 610-758-4886
email: belotti at lehigh.edu
web:   http://www.lehigh.edu/~pib208