[CoinBinary] Missing library, building example under MinGW

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Fri Jun 29 13:08:15 EDT 2012

That seems to just be a mistake in the Makefile. It should be CoinUtils.
There is no libCoin. This zip file is quite old and there have been changes
that should make some of this easier, such as support for the use of
pkg-config. Alaos, we have not been very good in general at keeping all of
this sort of thing up to date and making it obvious and easy how to get
started. Too much to do and not enough manpower.

A few years back, we started another project called CoinEasy, which was
supposed to be the single entry point for new users that explained how to
get started, but as with everything, it has been difficult to to keep it up
and we have not publicized it well. Nevertheless, it is probably a better
starting point than what you're working with.

https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinEasy

There is a project called "application templates" pointed to on the
CoinEasy page that has a more complete set of examples, Makefiles, etc.

https://projects.coin-or.org/CoinBazaar/wiki/Projects/ApplicationTemplates

Please feel free to post additional questions and we'll try to use that as
motivation to get some of this cleaned up :).

Cheers,

Ted

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM, <acw at ascent.com> wrote:

>  I downloaded and installed the CoinAll binary distribution on my generic
> Windows XP desktop.  I installed MinGW first, and chose the MinGW
> distribution on the download page.
>
> The command-line binaries seem to work fine.
>
> But when I try to work the example given on the CoinBinary wiki project
> page, I run into trouble.  In particular I am trying to build the one
> called "Osiexample".  I have MinGW g++, so I'm typing "make -f
> Makefile.Osiexample".  (The NMakefile wants to use the Visual Studio
> compiler.)
>
> I had to adjust COIN_DIR and COIN_INC_DIR a little because the arrangement
> of directories is not exactly the same as the example expects.  This wasn't
> a problem.
>
> My problem is that the build fails looking for the library libCoin.a.  I
> looked in the directory win32-mingw-gcc4.2.1/lib, and it's just not there.
>  CoinMP, yes.  CoinUtils, yes.  Just plain Coin, no.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thank you.

Dr. Ted Ralphs
Associate Professor, Lehigh University
(610) 628-1280
ted 'at' lehigh 'dot' edu