[Coin-discuss] [Coin-announce] Announcing the Coin Bazaar project

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Mar 18 15:42:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 19:36 +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Alpár Jüttner <alpar at cs.elte.hu> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I really like the idea of this Coin Bazaar project. Let me add two
> > comments, however.
> >
> > Firstly, the name is probably not the best, because there is a
> > distributed version control system (DVCS) called Bazaar
> > (http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/), therefore many people will falsely
> > assume that this project is about replacing SVN to a Bazaar.
>
> Isn't ? I tought that area would use Bazaar indeed instead of SVN!
> So my +1 to reconsider the name.

I will leave this question to the project manager.  I conjecture that
the name of the project and the name of the VCS share their origins in
Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".  Unfortunately, one can't
reserve a common English word entirely to a single purpose (especially a
product name--even an open-source product).  Even COIN refers to two
open-source projects: COIN-OR and COIN 3D.  And you occasionally see
some poor confused soul on the mailing lists.

> > Secondly, I strongly suggest considering this kind of change in the
> > version management, probably for the whole COIN-OR project in the long
> > run. (Though it shouldn't be Bazaar, as it is clearly well behind
> > Mercurial and GIT, the two other players on this market.)
>
> I agree, better may be mercurial, easier than GIT.

We always have our eyes out for ways to improve the infrastructure
technology at COIN-OR.  I doubt it would be possible to change the
entire collection away from Subversion, as many of the project managers
are used to Subversion and probably not that interested in learning a
whole new VCS technology.  We also have the problem that everyone
involved in maintaining the infrastructure also has a day job, and there
are limits to the number of different services we can afford the time to
maintain.  But I've been interested in looking at DVCS systems, and I'll
keep your suggestions in mind.

Thanks for your comments.

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola