[Coin-discuss] Compiling COIN for embedded systems

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Wed Apr 1 11:39:48 EDT 2009

Sandra,

	I didn't answer your first post, in hope that someone with direct
experience would chime in.  Take what follows as advice from someone who has
never actually done what you're trying to do. In theory, the COIN configuration
scripts will work for cross-compilation, but I have no first-hand proof. To my
knowledge, no one has ever built COIN on an ARM architecture, so you're breaking
ground.

	You'll need to do the configuration in one of the fake unix environments
available for Windows --- Msys or cygwin --- because you'll need to use the Gnu
autotools and the COIN configure script, which aren't available in the Visual
Studio build environment.  You'll need to tell the configure script that your
target is an ARM processor.  Read the `Manual Configuration' chapter in the Gnu
Autoconf manual; it explains how to do this.  I do not know the correct values
for your ARM build environment, but you should be able to figure it out from the
Codesourcery documentation.

	If this works properly, you will have a configured version of COIN
targetted to your ARM processor ready for compilation.  From there, you're on
your own, I'm afraid.  I have no knowledge of Codesourcery.

							Lou