[Coin-discuss] Please limit attachment size of postings

Robin Lougee-Heimer robinlh at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 31 10:47:58 EST 2008

There is the "scrub attachment" option for non-digest format.  (When you
scrub attachments, they are stored in archive area and links are made in
the message so that the member can access via web browser. If you want the
attachments totally disappear, you can use content filter options.) It's
currently set to "no."

Any objections to me flipping it on?

Robin

Robin Lougee-Heimer, PhD
Program Manager, COIN-OR
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
ph: 914-945-3032   fax: 914-945-3434
robinlh at us.ibm.com
http://www.coin-or.org

Matthew Saltzman <mjs at CLEMSON.EDU>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
01/30/2008 11:04 PM

Andreas Waechter <andreasw at watson.ibm.com>
cc
coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
Subject
Re: [Coin-discuss] Please limit attachment size of postings

Andreas-

Message body size on coin-discuss is limited to 40K.  There's no
separate setting for attachment size.  I'm not sure why this limit
didn't block today's message, but I'll investigate some more.

Having said that, the etiquette for attachments is more or less what
Andreas says.  Larger attachments can be uploaded to Trac pages or Trac
tickets, if appropriate.  There's nothing wrong with opening a ticket
for a suspected problem--in fact, that's generally to be preferred, as
we can track issues as tickets more easily than as e-mails.

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 22:29 -0500, Andreas Waechter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whoever maintains the coin-discuss mailing list, please set the limit
for
> the allowed attachments or total size of postings.
>
> While one might be tempted to rely on the reason of the people posting
> a mailing list not to send insanely huge attachments to tons of people,
> this obviously doesn't work.
>
> I (and probably most of us) just found three messages of 20MB in our
> INBOX.  While most of us are on a fast internet connection (imagine
> downloading 60MB on a dial-up), it might still exceed the allowable size

> of the INBOX of an internet provider.
>
> If someone wants to share large data files, the polite and correct
> procedure is to either make it available for download somewhere else, or

> to ask on the mailing list who the correct person is to send it to
> directly.
>
> Thanks for your consideration.
>
> Andreas

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs