[Coin-discuss] COIN-OR licences again...

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Apr 11 16:27:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 21:40 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 15:28 -0400, Alan King wrote:
> >
> > According to the CPL, anyone can redistribute the software under any
> > kind of license, provided the terms of the CPL are met.  These are:
> > the disclaimers, and where to get the source code if it is not
> > included in the bundle.
>
> This would be too good to be true.
>
> > Again -- what is the problem?
>
> I am no lawyer, but isn't #12 of
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-cplfaq.html
>
> what we are talking about?

I don't think so.  My reading of that paragraph is that someone who is
not the author can't *re-license* the code.

> On the other hand reading
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CommonPublicLicense10
>
> it might be that this is all just outdated information... I am going to
> write to licensing at fsf.org ... lets see what they say.

The text there is different now than it was before GPLv3 was released,
so I believe it is current.

If you write to them, ask for the exact wording in the CPL that they
consider problematic.  I conjecture that it is the part that says that
New York and US law apply.  The GPLv3 has a clause directing any court
how to apply relevant law.

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs