[Coin-discuss] COIN-OR licences again...

Soeren Sonnenburg Soeren.Sonnenburg at first.fraunhofer.de
Fri Apr 11 14:17:14 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 12:42 -0400, Ted Ralphs wrote:
> Personal like/dislike of the FSF/GPL are not at all the reason for the
> improbability of adoption of a dual licensing scheme for COIN. For
> practical reasons, I personally would probably agree to dual license the
> software for which I am the copyright holder if others would follow
> suit. As far as the reasons why it is unlikely that other copyright
> holders would do this, I can only speculate, as many others have already
> done in this thread and others. Ultimately, someone within the
> organizations holding the copyrights has to champion this cause and even
> then, I would say the chances are very slim. As several have pointed

If I was a coin-or contributor I would want to see my code used as much
as possible (as I am already giving it away for free). As I guess others
feel the same I think chances could be higher than you expect.
Especially if IBM would do the start. Could you think of a dual license
champion?

> out, if the GPL were an acceptable alternative to the parties concerned,
> why would the CPL exist in the first place? Food for thought...

Well the CPL was created when GPL meant GPLv2, i.e the license clause
did not exist which seems to be something very important. But now things
changed GPLv3 may actually be OK ... and well there are so many other
open source licenses and e.g. LGPL, MPL are quite similar to CPL btw...

Soeren
--
Soeren Sonnenburg - Fraunhofer FIRST      Tel: +49 (30) 6392 1882
Kekulestr. 7, 12489 Berlin, Germany       Fax: +49 (30) 6392 1805