[Coin-discuss] Open-source Modeling Languages

Kipp Martin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Tue Nov 20 11:14:11 EST 2007

Hi Sebastian:

> A language like AMPL or even the MathProg subset is quite natural and
> easy to use.  Few people nowadays manually edit MPS files, let alone
> .nl files, they are programmatically created from those high level
> modeling languages.  OSiL looks to me like something inbetween, and
> having exact semantics and syntax is great (you are right about
> readability, but it is still a "low-level" readability, giving fewer
> insight into the model structure than reading an AMPL model).  This
> kind of XML will usually not be edited manually, I suppose?

I think I misunderstood your previous email. I am not suggesting people
actually create the XML. Clearly you want a modeling language to do
that. Nor I am suggesting that people go in and edit the XML file. I
thought you had a problem with XML versus nl or mps and I was trying to
understand why you would prefer say nl to XML.

By the way, the OS project does have an nl to OSiL converter. There is
also an amplClient so you  can create OSiL from inside AMPL.

Also Mosek will produce OSiL. See

http://www.mosek.com/fileadmin/products/5_0/tools/doc/html/capi/node025.html

  Frontline systems in their Solver Platform SDK also supports OSiL. See

http://www.solver.com/sdkplatform.htm

Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research
and Computing Technology