[Coin-discuss] OsiCbcSolverInterface turn off log messages

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 9 11:49:31 EST 2007

The reason I dislike OsiCbc is that it uses other OsiXxx solvers so there
is no clean structure.  If you do OsiCbcSolverInterface::branchAndBound it
calls Cbc's branch and bound which uses a OsiXxxSolverInterface solver. To
make things even worse this underlying solver could be
OsiCbcSolverInterface!! (eventually a real solver would be called).

Also it is difficult to tune as apart from CbcStrategy it only has
OsiXxxSolverInterface methods.

The status of OsiCbc will always be - it will work - but it will not
easily take advantage of new ideas in Cbc or tuning parameters.

John Forrest

Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
03/09/2007 11:15 AM
Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>

Discussions about open source software for Operations Research
<coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Coin-discuss] OsiCbcSolverInterface turn off log messages

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Tim Hultberg wrote:

> What?!
>
> I am very sorry to hear this. When I first wrote flopc++, I interfaced
> directly with Cplex. Then I discovered Coin-OSI, and was able to change
> solver easily without writing new interfaces each time. Now I use OsiCbc
> as solver in the flopc++ example MIP models (or OsiClp, if its an LP),
> such that they can be compiled and executed without using anything
> external to Coin.
>
> I think it makes sense to keep a strong and up to date OsiCbc in Coin,
> so maybee this is a good candidate for the help wanted list. (Or should
> I use OsiSym instead?)

I agree that this should be a priority (for exactly this reason), and it
would be great to have a brave volunteer to take it on.

> Tim Hultberg

> By the way - the use of OsiCbc is deprecated - there is much more
> functionality and performance using Cbc and OsiClp.
>
> John Forrest

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs