[Coin-discuss] Re: What happend to CoinAll src?

Hart, William E wehart at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 28 20:32:27 EST 2006

Andreas, et al:

I like your summary of the issues.  In particular, I agree that we
shouldn't encourage users to checkout CoinAll unless they really need
_everything_.  Still, there groups like us at Sandia who _would_ like to
checkout everything ... or more to the point ... just-about-everything.
:)

I think the main value of a CoinAll project is that, with regular
testing, it will highlight incompatibilities between project APIs.  The
key is the testing, as otherwise I agree that CoinAll is more of a
hassle than anything.

We face a similar issues in Sandia's Acro software w.r.t. inter-project
interdependencies.  Nightly testing has provided a significant impetus
for resolving issues, since you have regular feedback to developers as
to the 'health' of software.  Further, comparisons between CoinAll and
other Coin projects provide clear indications of which projects are
problematic.

At INFORMS I mentioned that I would be interested in supporting a
CoinAll project.  Given the caveats of this discussion, my goal would be
to have this project be stable "on a regular basis", rather than all the
time.  For example, we only plan overall Acro releases a few times a
year.  It's too painful to get all of the software components
synchronized more often than that.

--Bill