[Coin-discuss] User exit tests in Cbc?

acw at ascent.com acw at ascent.com
Fri May 5 12:29:09 EDT 2006

Our application using COIN/Cbc is going very well.  We have successfully
ported to Windows and integrated an only-slightly-tweaked Cbc solver with
the rest of our application.

Recently, however, we encountered a case for which the solver ran out of
memory and crashed ignominiously in the middle of a run.  (In the
benighted world of 32-bit Windows, a process's address space is limited to
about 2Gb.)  We are, therefore, adding an extra exit test to the main loop
in CbcModel::branchAndBound.  It isn't very tricky.  But we would like to
do it without modifying CbcModel.cpp any more than is absolutely
necessary, so that we can stay synchronized with the main-branch sources
as easily as possible.  So this led us to consider adding a little user
hook to the exit tests.  Perhaps just after "!stoppedOnGap &&
!eventHappened" we could add "&& !userExitTest()".

Have the Cbc developers considered making this kind of user exit hook
available?  What would you consider the most "Cbc-y" way to do it?

Thanks for your thoughts.