[Coin-discuss] True 'make distclean'

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Sat Jun 24 18:23:27 EDT 2006

Hi Francois,

> I wonder if it would not be useful to have a command that truly put
> the package back to its original state, i.e. like 'make distclean' but
> erasing coin-Pkg/include and coin-Pkg/lib too. This is useful
> when recompiling after changing static/share options as well as
> other options of configure.
> With the current 'make distclean' you might end up with shared
> and static versions of the libraries that do not match for other
> options.

make uninstall

removes everything that has been installed.

It is very difficult to change the behavior of default targets.  What we
could do is to add a new target 'allclean' that first executes 'uninstall'
and then 'distclean'

> Of course, you are supposed to know what you are doing, but people just
> starting to use the new build system might no realize that
> erasing the lib directory is a must in some situations when changing
> options to configure. In fact, I have not seen a mention of this
> anywhere on the Buildtool Trac pages.

Remember, those are wiki pages - feel free to add this information at the
appropriate place ;)

> I also think that Laci's suggestion to have a build directory
> where configure is run is a much better setup than running
> configure from the main directory of a package. But even this
> does not solve the above problem.

I guess what you mean is described at the bottom of

https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/user-configure

as "Performing a VPATH Compilation".

Cheers

Andreas