[Coin-discuss] True 'make distclean'

fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jun 24 10:06:27 EDT 2006

I wonder if it would not be useful to have a command that truly put
the package back to its original state, i.e. like 'make distclean'
but erasing coin-Pkg/include and coin-Pkg/lib too. This is useful
when recompiling after changing static/share options as well as
other options of configure.
With the current 'make distclean' you might end up with shared
and static versions of the libraries that do not match for other
options.

Of course, you are supposed to know what you are doing, but people
just starting to use the new build system might no realize that
erasing the lib directory is a must in some situations when changing
options to configure. In fact, I have not seen a mention of this
anywhere on the Buildtool Trac pages.

I also think that Laci's suggestion to have a build directory
where configure is run is a much better setup than running
configure from the main directory of a package. But even this
does not solve the above problem.

Francois