[Coin-discuss] "Software Carpentry" -- resource

Robin Lougee-Heimer robinlh at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 27 12:22:23 EDT 2006

My quest to improve my s/w skills led me to this tidbit  (thanks to  Matt
Saltzman's recommendation -- thanks, Matt!)

Thought some of you out there might find it useful too.

The "problem":
Many scientists and engineers spend much of their lives writing,
debugging, and maintaining software, but only a handful have ever been
taught how to do this effectively: after a couple of introductory courses,
they are left to rediscover (or reinvent) the rest of programming on their
own. The result? Most spend far too much time wrestling with software,
instead of doing research, but have no idea how reliable or efficient
their programs are.

The "solution" (or an attempt at one...) is this website.
http://www.swc.scipy.org/

Robin

Robin Lougee-Heimer
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
ph: 914-945-3032   fax: 914-945-3434
robinlh at us.ibm.com
http://www.coin-or.org