[Coin-discuss] any COIN-with-windows users here? I'm looking for help with Borland BuilderX

Leo Lopes leo at sie.arizona.edu
Sun Jan 15 18:55:27 EST 2006

Dear William,

No apologies needed. For the record, let me clarify the point you
bring up about platforms. I'm speaking for myself of course, but I
sense that my views are not that far from those of most Coiners
(Coinans?).

Coin is not intended specifically for Linux, or any other platform.
There is no platform agenda, no covert business strategy, and no
political statement in any of the Coin processes. It just so happens
that most of the creative folk in Coin find it more convenient to do
the core of their development work under Linux.

That being clarified, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that your
question could more precisely be stated as:

   Can someone explain the build process of Coin to me so that I can
port it to platform X using compiler Y?

where X is Win32 and Y is Borland BuilderX.

If I got it right, then here is my best answer as of Q106:

Build processes vary from module to module. As JP mentioned, many of
the modules can already be built on Win32. Start with each module's
Readme.txt. Not knowing much about BuilderX, I might try importing the
MSVC project files to see how far you get. Failing that, I am afraid
that you will have to learn a little bit about Makefiles (a painful
prospect). The good news is that once you start making progress most
PMs will be happy to answer specific questions about their build
processes. They will also be delighted to accept BuilderX "project
files" that work, as well as tutorials, as contributions.

Cheers,
Leo.