[Coin-discuss] Massive slowdown and increased memory usage with OsiClp

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Sun Jan 8 14:02:55 EST 2006

ouch!

I have no idea what has happened.  Can you use valgrind on a small example
and see if there is a memory leak?

If you can give me something that reproduces the problem I will look into
the problem.  It sounds like a "bug" in CoinModel but I can't remember any
changes since July which would cause any change in performance.  Is it
easy to put timing in to see if it is CoinModel or something else?

John Forrest

Lasse Kliemann <lasse-coin-discuss-2006 at plastictree.net>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
01/08/2006 01:30 PM
Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research

coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
[Coin-discuss] Massive slowdown and increased memory usage with OsiClp

Greetings,

I have some code here that used to work fine the last time
around July 2005. It uses an object OsiSolverInterface to
solve a rather large LP, which is built with CoinModel. I did
not use this code for some time until December 2005. So in
December, I got the current version of COIN from the CVS and
compiled my code against it. Compilation went fine, so did
runs on smaller instances, although they seemed slower to me.
Then, the larger instances showed a terrible performance.
Computation took several times longer than before, and the
memory usage increased dramatically. Instances that in July I
could solve in, say, 20 seconds now took minutes and nearly
one GB of RAM. The problem remains with the version from CVS
that I fetched today.

Fortunately, I still have a copy of the old version of COIN
around. Compiling my code against this old version leads to
the good performance, that I remember.

What has happened to COIN that it became pratically unusable
for my project? It worked absolutely fine before.

I noticed that during the run of the solver, there is more
output to the console than before. Maybe I have enabled some
sort of debugging mode, that makes it all run so slow and so
memory-hungry?

This was a rough overview. I am not sure what details could be
of interest. I still hope that it is an easy issue that can be
solved by switching off some debugging mode or such. If not,
I will be happy to provide any details necessary.

Thanks a lot,
Lasse Kliemann