[Coin-discuss] CBC: determining the direction (up/down) of a node's branch

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 5 04:44:44 EST 2006

Brady,

Over the next year it is possible that a CbcObject will vanish and be
totally replaced by OsiObject.  This is being done for re-use between
various Coin projects.  The following is true for CbcObject and
CbcBranchingObject.

The concept of a branching object is general and does not know about up and
down.  Each class derived from CbcObject knows when it is not satisfied,
how to create a CbcBranchingObject derived class for a branch and how to
fix variables to force the object to be satisfied.  The most common class
used is CbcSimpleInteger and CbcIntegerBranchingObject.  For these way()
does have a meaning -1 down, +1 up.

So you could do a dynamic cast to check if integer and then use way.

John

             Brady Hunsaker
             <hunsaker at engr.pi
             tt.edu>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
             coin-discuss-boun                                          cc
             ces at list.coin-or.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       [Coin-discuss] CBC: determining the
                                       direction (up/down) of a node's
             12/04/06 04:53 PM         branch

              Please respond
             about open source
               software for
                Operations
                 Research
             <coin-discuss at lis
              t.coin-or.org>

CBC question:
the
direction of a node's branch.  So we can tell which node is its parent,
but not whether this node is the "up" child or "down" child of the
parent.  The method 'way()' does exist, but I believe it's referring to
the children of this node (which way do I branch next), not this node's
relationship with its parent.

I'd like to know whether a node is "up" or "down" for the visualization
tool my student is working on.  I think I can make the changes to add it
and submit them to you, John.  I'll just add a variable to CbcNodeInfo.
just wanted to verify that my understanding is correct before doing
it.  Thanks,
Brady Hunsaker
Pittsburgh
http://www.engr.pitt.edu/hunsaker/