[Coin-discuss] MaxCut build

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Aug 1 16:57:33 EDT 2006

Michele,

> Thank you very much for the tip. I'm sorry for not checking
> Makefile.location but all the info that I found on the web doesn't
> mention to edit Makefile.locaton.
> After looking into that file I'm still wonder how do you understand that
> my problem is in that two lines!

  Far too much practice  :-)

  More serious answer: the link error messages indicated that the constructor
  for OsiVol was missing.  When something that basic is missing, it tends to
  indicate a missing library in the link command, and sure enough -lOsiVol and
  -lVol were absent. The leap from there to Makefile.location comes from having
  spent too much time adjusting the old Coin build system.

> Now that I had a functional MaxCut on Linux now I'm trying to build it
> on cygwin and obviously it doesn't build.
> OK, now I will try to solve by myself but I ask the comunity how they
> usually get out of their compilation problems, There is a list of checks
> that i must do before giving up and post here a long log of my build
> errors? :-)

  Your timing on the initial post was pretty good, really, and the correct
  amount of information. COIN software should build without you having to take
  extreme measures or become an expert in software build systems. It's more
  confusing than usual just now because most core COIN software has converted to
  the standard GNU autotools system (configure) while some (such as MaxCut)
  still uses our old custom makefile system.

  If you're getting cygwin build errors, send 'em in and we'll have a look.
  Might be a few days to sort it out.

  (I'd be more definite, but I'm just minding the store for the folks who really
  know BCP. Something about being forced to go to Rio de Janeiro for some kind
  of conference.)

  							Lou