[Coin-discuss] hopefully the COIN-OR build process doesn't reflect the quality of the codes themselves

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at engr.pitt.edu
Mon Mar 21 11:29:24 EST 2005

The question of build tools came up recently on the list for COIN-OR
maintainers.  My sense was that the same tradeoff was discussed:
ease/familiarity for users versus complexity/unfamiliarity for
developers.  No conclusive decision was made, but I suspect that some of
the projects will be moving to autoconf/automake in the future.  If any
of you have some expertise to offer it would be appreciated.

The other issue--that of official "stable" releases--has also been
discussed since the recent formation of the COIN-OR Foundation.  I know
that some of the members of the Technical Leadership Council are in
favor of implementing this.  I can't put a timeline on it, but I believe
this is something that will happen.  As Jean-Sebastien said, that will
make creating ports/packages for distributions much more realistic.

Brady Hunsaker
Secretary, COIN-OR Foundation Strategic Leadership Board

--
Brady Hunsaker
Assistant Professor