[Coin-discuss] Lapack, blas, g2c and makefiles

Francois Margot fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Mar 5 07:18:31 EST 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Francois Margot wrote:
>
>> What about a warning somewhere that the COIN makefiles assume this type of
>> names for libraries (i.e. starting with lib) ? What is obvious for
>> some is far from obvious for others ...
>
> The problem isn't with COIN.
> It's with the nonstandard library names
> that come with some versions of lapack.

You can blame Lapck or COIN, but since we only have control on COIN,
why not make it work even when nonstandard names are used ? What about
stripping the extension in the name of a library only if its name starts
with "lib", for example.

> The warning should go something like this:
> Some versions of lapack come with libraries with nonstandard names.
> Libraries whose names do not begin with lib
> cannot be found with any linker's -l flag.
> Such libraries have to be included explicitly.

This could happen with other libraries. Moreover, saying

> Such libraries have to be included explicitly.

is not particularly helpful. Unless the user is able to find the
linking command in the sea of makefiles that comes with COIN, and unless
he has some knowledge of make, I doubt he will be able to do that.

Francois