[Coin-discuss] Column and row names in OsiSolverInterface

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Jun 12 18:17:05 EDT 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, John J Forrest wrote:

> At present there is no way to set and get names for rows and/or columns of
> a model.  It has been suggested to me that this might be useful.
>
> Are there any objections?  The default would be that setting would do
> nothing and getting would return a std::string Rnnnnnnn or Cnnnnnnn.  Are
> there any thoughts on setting - one at a time or in groups?

I think it would be a useful feature.  (I've seen requests for it a few
times.)

I just looked at CPLEX's functionality regarding name setting (as an
example):

For gets, CPLEX has a single call that returns names of a user-specified
range of rows (cols).  It returns null-terminated names in a
(user-supplied) long character array and a (user-supplied) array of
pointers into that array.

For sets, CPLEX allows names to be included in loadprob, addrows, addcols.
You can also set/change a list of row (col) names.  Input is a list of
indices and a long character array with the names stored (sequentially and
null-terminated).

Names can also be deleted wholesale (for the entire problem).

Of course singleton gets and sets are handled by restricting the range to
get or the length of the list to set. That would seem to be a pretty
minimalist feature set for names.  There are lots of ways I can think of
to ask for or provide names for groups, but ranges of consecutive ones
seem to be the least one would expect.

> John Forrest

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu