[Coin-discuss] Standards Processes in COIN-OR

Leo Lopes leo at sie.arizona.edu
Sat Jan 1 20:36:13 EST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

	I hope everyone had a great New Year celebration.

	I am sorry I won't be able to join you for ICS this year. However, as
promised, here is a pre-ICS summary of Standards Processes as they
relate to Coin-OR.

	We were commissioned to decide by ICS whether or not Coin-OR would play
a role in developing IT standards that support OR tools. I believe
(since I am not in the Strategic Leadership Board) that the decision is
yes, Coin-OR will play some role. At this stage, some important aspects
regarding scope of participation and collaboration with other
organizations are still unclear. However, I believe that Coin-OR is
committed to at least a basic infrastructure to support technical
aspects of standards development.

	I mentioned four proposals regarding Coin-OR and standards in an
earlier email (11/4). There was some very useful feedback from the
Coin-OR boards regarding those proposals. I would personally like to see
the proposals discussed in Annapolis, even though I know I give up the
right to request that by not being there. At least they might make for a
good starting point. I'll summarize them here:

	1) To find and install a calendar and meeting system to support
discussions.

	2) To write a couple of business cases to illustrate to commercial
interests within and outside our community why this is important work.

	3) To initially restrict the scope of the standards process to Linear
and Integer Programming.

	4) To restart the OASIS formal process through the actions of those of
us who are OASIS members.

	Thank you for your patience and contributions. I hope to join you again
in Palm Springs and then in New Orleans.

Cheers,
Leo.