[Coin-discuss] "zero distance in CbcRounding - debug" message using Cbc/Clp

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 31 04:35:00 EDT 2005

Kish,

As it is a heuristic it obviously doesn't matter much.  Will try and look
at it to remember why I put test in.

John Forrest

Kish Shen <ks15 at icparc.ic.ac.uk>
Sent by: coin-discuss-bounces at list.coin-or.org
08/30/2005 04:20 PM
Please respond to
Discussions about open source software for Operations Research

coin-discuss at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
[Coin-discuss] "zero distance in CbcRounding - debug" message using
Cbc/Clp

Hi,

While using Cbc with Clp as the linear solver in my own program, I got the
following message:

Cbc0010I After 200 nodes, 71 on tree, -40.0802 best solution, best
possible -43
zero distance in CbcRounding - debug
zero distance in CbcRounding - debug
zero distance in CbcRounding - debug

Looking at the Cbc source, I find the following in CbcHeuristic.cpp:

          if (!distance) {
            // should never happen
            printf("zero distance in CbcRounding - debug\n");
          }

so I assume that the messages I am getting indicates a problem? In this
case, the objective value that is returned by Cbc/Clp appears to be
correct.

I am using a Cbc/Clp tarball from 24 Aug 2005.

I have logged the calls I made to Cbc/Clp/Osi and generated a C++ file
from
this, and compiling and running this file reproduced the messages. Please
let me know if you want to look at this file -- it is about 6K when
gzipped.

Thanks in advance,

Yours sincerely,

Kish Shen