[Coin-discuss] MILP

Tobias Achterberg achterberg at zib.de
Fri Oct 15 15:08:32 EDT 2004

Hi Luwi,

If you are able to store your MILP in MPS- or LP-Format, and if you are allowed
and willing to send the data, I can solve the problem with CPLEX.

In this way, you get at least an imagination, what a "really-state-of-the-art"
solver can do on your problem. If even CPLEX doesn't get a solution in
reasonable time, a pure MILP approach might not be the best thing to do...

Regards,   Tobi

Oluwayemisi Oluwole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to solve a MILP with 3606 binary integer variables and about
> 480 constraints. I'm using the SBB component of COIN and I'm having
> trouble obtaining a solution. The problem has been running for about 24
> hours so far and still has not found the optimal solution. I'm not
> proficient at using LP solvers and I would greatly appreciate any advice
> on what I could possibly do to improve the performance of my code!
>
> I'm basically using the same call sequence used in the sample2.cpp file
> included in the COIN/Sbb/Samples/ directory.
> Thanks,
>
> -Luwi

Tobias Achterberg          Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fuer
                            Informationstechnik Berlin
Tel: +49 (0)30 84185-301   Takustr. 7
Email: achterberg at zib.de   D-14195 Berlin, Germany