[Coin-discuss] COIN question

Jonathan Eckstein jeckstei at rutcor.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 30 14:09:10 EDT 2004

Hi, Ted --

I was in Easton on Friday talking to Cindy Phillips, and Jeff L. was
there.  They were both teaching at the "DIMACS reconnect satellite
conference".  I gave a replay of my Banff talk.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I sent an e-mail to some of the lead COINers but
got no reply.  The topic was this: presently, PICO uses a private,
hacked version of COIN.  This was done partly for portability to some of
our exotic systems and to a lesser extent to add a bit of functionality
here and there.

We'd like to stop using this private version of COIN and instead use the
"standard" COIN repository version, at least on platforms COIN
ordinarily supports.  To do this, we'd like to push some of our
modifications back into the official COIN repository.  We can leave out
the weird configuration/compatibility/portability stuff, but we'd like
to push the genuine functionality changes, which are minor and probably
not objectionable.  I think they involve things like

   o  Making some OSI "private" methods and data members "protected"
   o  Adding an OSI function to alter a particular matrix element
   o  Adding a sparse-sparse inner product

Do you think we could arrange this, and if so how?  My previous mail to
Robin, Matt, and Laci went unanswered.

   Thanks,

     Jonathan