[Coin-discuss] student paper on development models for software

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at engr.pitt.edu
Wed Jun 16 09:55:54 EDT 2004

Some of you may be interested in reading a paper written by one of our
M.S. students, Larry Hayhurst, entitled The Critical Chain in Software
Engineering.  Written for a course in engineering management, Larry
looks at software development models, especially open-source models,
with respect to the engineering management concepts of the critical
chain and theory of constraints.

This is probably most interesting to those of you in industrial
engineering settings, where it may help to explain some of the
advantages of our development model to coworkers who are familiar with
these engineering management concepts.

As a disclaimer, Larry quotes me a couple of times in the paper and
COIN-OR gets a brief mention.

The paper is available at
www.engr.pitt.edu/hunsaker/Critical_Chain_Software_Eng.pdf
It's about 150K.