[Coin-discuss] sbb/resolve a MIP?

Tuomo Takkula tuomo.takkula at inform-ac.com
Wed Jun 9 14:45:50 EDT 2004

On 9 Jun 2004 at 14:19, John J Forrest wrote:

> I think it would need a major re-write of Sbb. On the other hand it
> would be fairly easy to provide callbacks which might allow more
> flexibility along the lines of ClpEventHandler. One could collect
> maximum nodes, solutions, seconds etc into SbbEventHandler and then
> let the user derive a class from this which could do whatever is
> wanted and then reset the maximum value.
>
> If you can describe what you want to do or send me something I can see
> how much work it would be.

Simply speaking, I'd like to have some way to tell the brand-and-
bound solver to run until it finds the first feasible solution, and
then for a specified time more.

Additional nice-to-have features could be:

* besides the "soft" time limit mentioned above, some "hard" time
limit for when to abort for good even if no feasible solution was
found

* at the callback to have the possibility to fix some variables
before the solver is resumed

* at the callback to have the possibility to change some parameters
that would affect the branch-and-bound solver "from now on" (I've got
no clue how realistic this is) and resume

* access to the best solution so far at callback.

> John Forrest
>
> If you can send me

[somehow the rest of this never arrived at me]

	Best regards and thanks for the quick answer
	Tuomo Takkula

--
Tuomo Takkula, PhD
Inform GmbH      Pascalstr. 23      D-52076 Aachen