[Coin-discuss] Setting solver parameters in OSI

Erling D. Andersen e.d.andersen at mosek.com
Fri Sep 12 03:05:57 EDT 2003

>Part of the difficulty with having a common interface is the variety of
>solver options and parameters.  As you noticed, OSI handles certain
>parameters that are common to all solvers.  We do need to come up with a
>long term solution to this problem, which will probably include more
>options handled by the OSI.  Of course, even then there will be cases
>when you'll need to fall back on this method for some solver-specific
>options.

Why don't you have a  have function called

Osisetnamedintparam(char name[],int  value);

So for instance when you are using MOSEK you could do

Osiputnamedintparam("Mskparamname1",5);

If MOSEK knows param name then it sets it, if not then it does not. For Cplex you would do

Osisetnamedintparam("Cpxparamname2",2);

This would be very general and flexible. Also it would give the user a way to specify solver specific parameters
in clean way.

Also I suggest you look at how AMPL deals with solver specific parameters.

Erling

>Let us know if you run into difficulties with this approach,
>
>Brady

>Denne mail er blevet scannet af http://www.virus112.com

MOSEK ApS
C/O Symbion Science Park