[Coin-discuss] Re: [Coin-lpsolver] BCP and Windows

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at web.de
Fri Oct 31 08:39:53 EST 2003

Sorry Brady, this should have gone out to the list. But fortunately,
know that I'm less frustrated I changed the posting slightly.

Brady Hunsaker schrieb:
> On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 08:37, Stephan Hennig wrote: <snip>
>> Thanks for your answer. But I think I have to state my question
>> more precisely (I think 'environment' was the wrong term).
>>
>> I'm rather determined using Borland C++ Builder. Are there any
>> positive experiences with BCP and BCB? Negative ones are welcome as
>> well. Because they would save me time and I could directly switch
>> to the alternative Symphony framework (although I'm going to do
>> Branch&Price).
>>
>> If there are no such experiences here (which makes me think I'm
>> doing something wrong) I'll have to try myself and will post the
>> results.
>>
>> Kind regards, Stephan Hennig
>>

> A quick search of the coin-discuss archives shows no occurrences of
> the word "Borland" and I don't remember anyone ever mentioning it.
> So probably no one has reported on efforts to try Borland with BCP.

Which makes me very sad. Borland C++ Builder is such a powerfull and
yet user-friendly IDE, it's fun working with it.

> We'd certainly appreciate if you let us know how your efforts go.  I
> guess issues that have come up before are related mainly to
> templates, though I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, it doesn't compile coin. And I'm not a system programmer
who can apply the necessary adjustments. That's probably beyond my
skills. I just wanted to use the API.

As the very first problem BCB can't find <unistd.h> on line 11 in file
CoinHelperFunctions.hpp. There is no such file on my machine. I can hear
you laughing, but I have no idea how simple/complicated that problem is.

Is there any hint to what problems would/could/should raise up and have
to be dealt with. What were the critical files when doing adjustments to
make COIN run with MSVC++ (which is no option for me)?

Has really no-one tried BCB before (with a little more system
knowledge)? If not, I have to turn to linux (at the moment it seems
Symphony makes troubles on Windows too) and hope to find some suitable IDE.

Kind regards,
Stephan Hennig