[Coin-discuss] MaxCut and Mkc

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at web.de
Mon Nov 17 11:35:18 EST 2003

Stephan Hennig schrieb:

> Laszlo Ladanyi schrieb:
>
>> Your guess is correct. When we added the compressed files to the repository
>> we forgot to mark them binary. This wasn't a problem on any unices.
>>
>> Is there a cvs expert out there who can tell how to change the type of a file
>> in the repository (I'm willing to manually muck with the repository)?
>> Otherwise I' ll start to read the manual...
>
> This is what I found in Fogel/Bar: "Open Source Development with CVS"
>
> Q: My Binary Files Are Messed Up.
> A: Did you remember to use -kb when you added them? If not, CVS might
> have performed line-end conversion or RCS keyword substitution on them.
> The easiest solution is usually to mark them as binary
> yarkon$ cvs admin -kb foo.gif
> and then commit a fixed version of the file. CVS will not corrupt the
> new commit or any of the commits thereafter, because it now knows the
> file is binary.

And in case accidently you need the reverse, the next question covers
this (as far as I understand):

Q: CVS Isn’t Doing Line-End Conversion Correctly.
A: If you’re running the CVS client on a non-Unix platform and are not
getting the line-end conventions that you want in some working copy
files, it’s usually because the files were accidentally added with -kb
when they shouldn’t have been. This can be fixed in the repository with,
believe it or not, the command:
yarkon$ cvs admin -kkv FILE
The -kkv option causes normal keyword substitution and implies normal
line-end conversions as well. (Internally, CVS is a bit confused about
the difference between keyword substitution and line-end conversion.
This confusion is reflected in the way the -k options can control both
parameters.)
Unfortunately, that admin command fixes only the file in the
repository—your working copy still thinks the file is binary. You can
hand edit the CVS/Entries line for that file, removing the -kb, but that
won’t solve the problem for any other working copies out there.