[Coin-discuss] environment variables

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at web.de
Mon Nov 10 13:11:56 EST 2003

Hello,

@Laszlo Ladanyi:
Thanks alot for your answer. Osi/ now compiles fine with the OSL
interface enabled. To be as much compliant to your "standards" I
installed OSL within $(HOME)/osl. With the same argument I decided to
try Red Hat because I found that distribution mentioned several times in
the coin-discuss archive.

Laszlo Ladanyi schrieb:
> I'm not sure how much general *nix help you'll get here (to be honest this is
> probably not the right forum for that), but I give a stab at a few of your
> questions.

I'll try to avoid asking basic unix questions here. But isn't RH one of
the most buggy linuxes around? Sorry, no answer necessary.

>> (i) I want to use COIN with OSL. Enabeling the OSL interface in
>> Makefiles/Makefile.location I get an error complaining that ekk_c_api.h
>> cannot be found when making Osi/. That header file is located in
>> /usr/local/osllib/include/ . Seems I have to define an environment
>> variable OSLROOT or similar.
>
> Look again at Makefiles/Makefile.location. As it says at the top:
> # If any of the libraries/headers is at a non-standard location (i.e., not    #
> # in COIN/{lib,include} or in /usr/{lib,include}) then specify below the      #
> # ### Locations ### line where could it be found.                             #
> So just page down to the OSL location specification (right now lines 183-188)
> and specify the path there.

Thanks for the pointer! Done.

>> (ii) When trying to make Bcp/ I get an error message 'Cannot create
>> directory /dep'. In the makefile I can see a reference to the variable
>> BCPROOT. I tried to set this to /home/work/COIN/Bcp as well as to
>> /home/work/COIN . When BCPROOT is set another error arises. Some files
>> in a strange path '/home/work/COIN//Bcp/...' cannot be found - the
>> double slash after where BCPROOT points to.
>
> This issue came up just a week ago on this mailing list, and the answer is
> that you should not make anything in Bcp, rather you should do a make in the
> application directory (see, e.g., Examples/MaxCut). Actually, as of 11/2/2003
> the Makefile in Bcp should refuse to do anything if you try to make directly
> in the Bcp directory, rather it should print out a message about what you
> should do.

I read that thread but didn't remember it when I run into the same
problem. Thanks! I'll do a new checkout.

> I hope this will be enough to get you started. Let us know if you have any
> troubles.

Seems I'm constantly running into problems (am I repeating myself?).
This time I tried to make the examples. Making Mkc stopped with some
error complaining BCP_timeout.o could not be found. Making MaxCut rises
the same error. You can find the console output from further make runs
at the end of this mail. As you can see Bcp_timeout.o is touched just
before the linker starts, but I can't find the Junk/ directory. When
searching with Konqueror through the COIN/ directory structure for files
that contain the string 'timeout' Konqueror (repeatingly) quits with an
exception. That's good news when your just searching for another error,
isn't it? I don't want to drive the OS to the limits and I'm *not*
searching for bugs. Do you have any secret hint which Linux distribution
I should try to avoid such messy things? RH already made problems during
installation. The first time it reported hard disk errors that no other
Windows low level program could find (I bought the HD 9 months ago). The
next time RH installed fine without any repair having taken place. I
don't have much confidence to RH.

Sorry, back to BCP_timeout.XXX. Bcp/Makefile contains a part

# Files containing member functions
#BCP_SRC +=	BCP_vector_change.cpp

BCP_SRC +=	BCP_lp_param.cpp
BCP_SRC +=	BCP_USER.cpp
BCP_SRC +=	BCP_timeout.cpp

so I think BCP_timeout.cpp should be located in Bcp/Member . But there
is no such file. There is no such file in COIN/ at all. I asked a friend
 to checkout COIN/ on a Windows machine and he confirmed that he can't
find that source file. What's wrong this time? Do you have any further
hints for me?

Kind regards,
Stephan Hennig

Here's make's console output. Don't wonder about the non-standard
messages. I translated them from german.

[work at localhost Mkc]$ make
(cd ../../Osi/OsiClp && make OptLevel=-O install)
make[1]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiClp"
(cd /home/work/COIN/Clp && make install)
make[2]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Clp"
(cd /home/work/COIN/Coin && make install)
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[4]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make[4]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[4]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make -f Makefile.Clp install
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Clp"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[4]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Clp"
make[4]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[4]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Clp"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Clp"
make[2]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Clp"
(cd /home/work/COIN/Osi && make -f Makefile.Osi install)
make[2]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
(cd ../Coin && make install)
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[4]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make[4]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[4]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
make[3]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
make[2]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[2]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiClp"
make[2]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[2]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiClp"
make[1]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiClp"
(cd ../../Osi/OsiVol && make OptLevel=-O install)
make[1]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiVol"
(cd /home/work/COIN/Vol && make install)
make[2]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Vol"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Vol"
make[3]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Vol"
make[2]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Vol"
(cd /home/work/COIN/Osi && make -f Makefile.Osi install)
make[2]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
(cd ../Coin && make install)
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[4]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make[4]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[4]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Coin"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[3]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
make[3]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[3]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
make[2]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi"
make -f /home/work/COIN/Makefiles/Makefile.lib install
make[2]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiVol"
make[2]: Nothing to do for target  "install"
make[2]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiVol"
make[1]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Osi/OsiVol"
make -f Makefile.mkc bcps
make[1]: Entering directory "/home/work/COIN/Examples/Mkc"
touch Junk/BCP_timeout.d
touch Junk/BCP_timeout.o

Linking bcps ...

g++: /home/work/COIN/Bcp/Linux-g/BCP_timeout.o: file or directory not found
make[1]: *** [/home/work/COIN/Examples/Mkc/Linux-g/bcps] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory "/home/work/COIN/Examples/Mkc"
make: *** [mkc] Error 2
[work at localhost Mkc]$