[Coin-discuss] Cplex use termination code "abandoned" if presolve determines that problem is infeasible or unbounded.

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Tue May 13 08:58:39 EDT 2003

Hi Tommy,

The FIXME refers to the question of what is the proper course of action in
case the LP solver has abandoned the problem (numerical difficulties, etc.).
Right now BCP just throws an exception, but perhaps it would be better to
prune the node and get the opt for the rest.

The real problem lies in OsiCpxSolverInterface. Apparently when the cplex
presolver finishes off the problem the interface does not deduce correctly the
status (abandoned, optimal, primal/dual infeas/unbounded, etc.) and comes back
with abandoned instead of infeasible. Hopefully the maintainer will fix it
soon, I can look at it next week if noone fixes it earlier. If you'd like to
wet your feet then look at COIN/Osi/OsiCpx/OsiCpxSolverInterface.cpp and look
at the functions below the comment:
// Methods returning info on how the solution process terminated

Good luck,
--Laci