[Coin-discuss] Lower bounds in BCP

Jörg Herbers herbers at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 08:42:49 EST 2003

I’m doing branch&price with BCP and I’m wondering about the lower bound
handling. Every tm node holds a lower bound in true_lower_bound which can be
modified by overriding BCP_lp_user::compute_lower_bound. I have two
questions now:

1. In every iteration, compute_lower_bound is called before column
generation is done. This implies that you cannot exploit knowledge on if
columns were generated at all. If no columns were generated, a new lower
bound equal to the current relaxation’s value could be returned. What is the
standard way to exploit such knowledge?

2. If I understood BCP correctly, it currently doesn’t maintain a global
lower bound (typically the value of the LP relaxation before any branching).
When an integer solution equal to this lower bound is found, all further
search could directly be interrupted. Instead, BCP processes all further
nodes, doing column generation to obtain a lower bound on the node and
fathoming the nodes. In large-scale applications, this can be quite
time-consuming. Are there any means of implementing a global lower bound
logic?

Thanks in advance,
Jörg