[Coin-discuss] COIN/BCP examples

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 12 12:09:18 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Al Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I compiled MaxCut that comes as one of COIN/BCP
> examples, I've got the following
> errors:
> BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter
> stream.
> BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter
> stream.
> BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter
> stream.
> BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter
> stream.
> BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter
> stream.
> BCP_parameters::read_from_stream   Scanning parameter
> stream.
> Can't open input file!
> Abort

The "scanning parameter stream" messages are completely normal, it just
indicates that the parameter file is being read. It is printed multiple times
because every parameter set (one for the tree manager, one for the LP,
there are a few in the MaxCut code as well) scans the parameter file. The
"Can't open input file" is a real error, and I don't understand it. I just
compiled the code and ran it without any problem. Did you run it like:
`./TARGET_SUBDIRECTORY/bcps junger1.par` (as described in the INSTALL file)?
Or did you cd to the target dir and ran `./bcps ../junger1.par`? This latter
one would not work since the parameter file specifies the input file as
'junger1', i.e., it must reside in the directory where you issue the command.

> Has anybody experienced the same problem? As a C++
> novice, I couldn't find the cause of the problem with
> hours of looking at the source code.
>
> Also I found it very strange that Makefile.mkc for Mkc
> example is missing. Am I supposed to write the file to
> test the example?

Oops, I didn't mean it to be a homework to create Makefile.mkc. :-)
I have created it and added it to the repository. It should be in tonight's
tarball.