[Coin-discuss] EG-Models (example re. software archive)

Marc Pfetsch pfetsch at math.TU-Berlin.DE
Mon Dec 23 08:00:10 EST 2002

The managing editors of EG-models are

Michael Joswig (joswig at tu-berlin.de) and
Konrad Polthier (polthier at tu-berlin.de)

here at the Technical University Berlin.

The basic idea of EG-models is to provide a way for
(online) publication of geometric models. It is organized
like an (online) journal (i.e., models are refereed). In fact,
several questions similar to the ones that arise when considering
"publication" of software have to be dealt with, e.g.:

format of the models, correctness and consistency of the
proposed models/data, long-term archiving of the data,
how can the refeering process be organized ...

The models are currently stored in an XML-format, which can
be read and displayed by the visualization tool JavaView,
so the situation is a bit simpler than for software. An
applet version of JavaView can be used to display the models
in EG-models.

For more information see the web site (www.eg-models.de)
and several articles available on the web-pages of the
managing editors:
www.math.tu-berlin.de/~joswig
www.sfb288.math.tu-berlin.de/~konrad

Meanwhile every (accepted) model is included into the
"Zentralblatt" (www.emis.de/ZMATH).

Hope that helps!

Marc