[coin-discuss] Re: using coin

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 5 08:56:03 EDT 2000

Marko,

This will probably be the most frequently asked question... :-)

Anyway here is the full explanation:

To make certain that every dependency is satisfied Bcp (and the rest of COIN)
use the -MM flag of g++ to create the list of dependencies and writes them out
into a file (a separate file for each source code). These files are then
included in the makefile itself. Now if a header is missing (e.g., the
directories for the LP solvers are not set correctly in Makefile.coin then the
solver's header will not be found) then g++ -MM produces an incorrect
dependency list, one in which  the ':' character, the separator is missing.
Therefore when 'make' tries to include the dependency files it fails and emits
the error message.

A trivial workaround is what JP suggested: just delete the offending
dependency file and run make again.

A good solution would be to force 'make' to do the same job, but so far I
couldn't figure out how to do that.

--Laci

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 jpfasano at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Marko,
> >>Are there users out there using Linux?
> Yes. This is the platform of choice.
>
> >>Try `make' I got
> >>/home/loparic/acad/coin/COIN/Bcp/Bcp-common/dep/oslSolver.d:1: ***
> missing separator.  Stop.
> >>Any hints? Thanks,
>
> Could you please try removing the directory
>   /home/loparic/acad/coin/COIN/Bcp/Bcp-common/dep
> and then run make again?
>
> Please let me know the outcome.
> If this works, then we know what can go wrong and can try to improve.
> If this doesn't work, we will need to figure out what is going wrong in
> your situation.
>
> JP Fasano
> jpfasano at us.ibm.com
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/coin/

----
To get off the coin-discuss list, send a message containing the word
"unsubscribe" (in the body, not the subject) to
<coin-discuss-Request at oss.software.ibm.com>.

Send Majordomo commands to: <coin-discuss-Request at oss.software.ibm.com>
To contact a human:         <coin-discuss-Owner at oss.software.ibm.com>
To post to the list:        <coin-discuss at oss.software.ibm.com>