[Clp] Issue with Clp executable for maximization and for binary variables

Sourav Garg sourav.sahaji at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:30:30 EDT 2014

Thanks John.

Cbc was what I actually needed.
I am using the standalone executable of cbc which solves the Binary Integer
program that I provide using a .mps file.
For some instances I get the solution within seconds, but for one of my
inputs, it took one day to complete and get an optimal solution. The
corresponding stdout logs were like this:

*"*
*...*

*Problem BIP has 287088 rows, 7346 columns and 509272 elements*
*...*
*...*
*...*

*Result - Optimal solution found*

*Objective value:                0.00004017*
*Enumerated nodes:               92760*
*Total iterations:               85136638*
*Time (CPU seconds):             85473.77*
*Time (Wallclock seconds):       85683.41*

*Total time (CPU seconds):       85474.08   (Wallclock seconds):
85683.75*

*"*
Reason is probably the size of data.
I realized that there is an option of using multiple threads while running
cbc (source: man page of Ubuntu), I tried to use that:

$ cbc myFIle.mps solve -threads 6 -solution cbcSoln.txt

*"*
*...*

*threads was changed from 0 to 6*
*..*
"

It gives confirmation of changing threads number, but I don't see any of my
other cores being used, just a single processor at 100%. (I am using Dell
Precision T5500 Processor: Intel® Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz × 12, Memory:
47.2 GB).
I want to reduce the time it takes for finding the solution. Along with
switching off the cuts and preprocess options to save time, can I further
change some more parameters so that I can save time and get an optimal
solution?

Thanks,
Sourav