[Clp] Documentation about how to use CLP through CoinMP

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 12:00:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Lou Hafer <lou at cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>        Just to poke for a moment, removing from the public domain all
> undocumented open-source software would cut the supply by about 50%.  It's a
> worthy idea, but unlikely to happen any time soon.  If you're the sort of person
> who likes to write documentation, we have work for you  :-)
>
>        Let me offer something a bit more useful.  CoinMP was written by Bjarni
> Kristjansson, one of the principals of Maximal Software, a company that makes
> modelling software (forgive me, Bjarni, for that inadequate description).  The
> best bit of documentation that I can turn up quickly is accessible at
>
> http://www.maximal-usa.com/solvopt/optcoinmp.html
>
>        This still isn't what you're asking for --- doesn't answer the question
> of how to write a driver --- but you might find more poking about on the Maximal
> site.  I'm not personally a user of Maximal's software, so this is pretty much
> the limit of my knowledge.

Thanks, Lou, for your reply. It should be clear to everybody that
totally undocumented and complex programs will not have many users
(perhaps only their developers will use them). Therefore, although
representing about 50% of the open-source supply (if this value is
correct), their community of users approaches 0%.

My words were probably too strong when I advocated the extinction of
undocumented programs from the public domain. In truth, that is not
necessary, as potential users will look for other programs that are
documented.

Paul