[Clp] Problem infeasible after fast dual although only bound changed?

Sebastian Theophil stheophil at think-cell.com
Tue Jul 21 11:21:02 EDT 2009

John,

the problem is solved first and then I reduce the lower bound of a
constraint with dual value > 0.0.

Thus, the previous dual solution is not optimal anymore because the
complementary slackness property is violated. Both dual value and
associated slack are != 0.

The problem itself is still feasible of course. I have checked now what
fastDual does internally, and although I don't understand why, it
returns "1" to indicate the problem is infeasible which (in my
opininion) it is not.

Maybe fastDual isn't expected to do what I want it to do. Usually, when
the RHS vector b changes, the column solution x_b is updated with x_b =
B^{-1} b. The resulting x_b may be infeasible but the dual solution
stays (dual) feasible. A dual simplex step (or multiple) go back to a
primal and dual feasible solution.

I do not update the column solution though.

Regards

Sebastian