[Coin-lpsolver] CLP build problem in linux debian AMD64

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 1 14:42:34 EST 2007

Hi,

> I am learning CLP coding now. I just upgraded my workstation from a P4
> ( 32-bit) to Dou Core Xeon (amd64).
>
> I installed Debian/etch which works for me more than 2 years. I compile
> CLP without any problem and "make test" indicates that the installation
> is complete and successful.
>
> However, when I tried to build minimum.cpp, it worked in my old desktop
> but not on my 64-bit workstation.

How do you build minimum.cpp? In which directory did you type which command?
For me, it works to call
make DRIVER=minimum
in Clp/examples.

> Here is the error message I got.
>
> g++ -L/opt/coinor/lib -shared -o"first_example"  ./first.o

So I wonder what is first.o, and how was it created?

Stefan

> /usr/bin/ld: ./first.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol'
> can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> ./first.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [first_example] Error 1
> make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
> Build complete for project first_example
>

> Any ideas? If this is a new issue, I would like to submit a ticket on
> it.
>

> Lijian Chen
>
> Assistant Professor
> J.B. Speed School of Engineering
> Department of Industrial Engineering
> University of Louisville
> (Tel) 502-852-2197
> (Fax) 502-852-5633

Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics
http://www.math.hu-berlin.de/~stefan