[Coin-lpsolver] CLP build problem in linux debian AMD64

Lijian Chen lijian.chen at louisville.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:18:40 EST 2007

Dear All

I am learning CLP coding now. I just upgraded my workstation from a P4
( 32-bit) to Dou Core Xeon (amd64).

I installed Debian/etch which works for me more than 2 years. I compile
CLP without any problem and "make test" indicates that the installation
is complete and successful.

However, when I tried to build minimum.cpp, it worked in my old desktop
but not on my 64-bit workstation.

Here is the error message I got.

g++ -L/opt/coinor/lib -shared -o"first_example"  ./first.o
/usr/bin/ld: ./first.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol'
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
./first.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [first_example] Error 1
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
Build complete for project first_example

Any ideas? If this is a new issue, I would like to submit a ticket on
it.

Lijian Chen

Assistant Professor
J.B. Speed School of Engineering