[Coin-lpsolver] Problem with COIN MIP solver

Ricky O'Brien rickob at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 17 07:26:31 EST 2006

We have been running the branch and cut (Cbc) algorithm on a variety of
MIP problems with both a commercial LP/MIP package and COIN.  For most
problems, both solvers produce the same answer, but for the attached
file (a zipped mps file), we believe that the COIN branch and cut
algorithm is giving us a less than optimal solution.  With the
commercial package, the objective value that we get is 39361.67, however
COIN is giving an objective value of 37668.9 .

We are also interested in improving the performance of the solver for
our applications, and, we have noticed the COIN-OR cut generation
library (Cgl).  As this is not my area of expertise, l was wondering if
there is a general rule of thumb to guide me in the choice of which cut
generator to use for MIP problems where there are a moderate number (a
few hundred) of binary variables?

Thank you for any help.
Ricky O'Brien