[Coin-lpsolver] Generate all basic solutions

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Oct 26 17:46:56 EDT 2005

Sorry, I neglected to copy the list on my first reply.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Spencer Fung wrote:

> Dear Matthew,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. Can you recommend some solvers that can
> achieve the purpose? Do you think CPLEX does?

CPLEX does not have a built-in function to do this either, but I beleive
some of the codes referenced in the LP FAQ use the CPLEX callable library
(but not via the COIN-OR OSI).

> I cannot get the Chvatal's book at the moment, do you know any online
> materials describe the algorithm you mentioned.

The algorithm in Chvatal's book is a breadth-first search of the graph
whose vertices are the vertices of the polyhedron and whose edges are the
one-dimensional faces.

Chvatal references the following:

Dyer and Proll (1977), An algorithm for determining all extreme points of
a polyhedron, Math Programming 12:81-96.

Matthiess and Rubin (1980), A survey and comparison of methods for finding
all vertices of convex polyhedral sets, Math of OR 5:167-185.

Matthiess and Schmidt (1980), Computational results on an algorithm for
finding all vertices of a polytope, Math Programming 18:308-329.

Chvatal is from 1983, so there are likely to be later references, but I
don't have any handy at the moment.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences