[Coin-lpsolver] Re: Coin-lpsolver Digest, Vol 12, Issue 4

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Oct 15 16:26:40 EDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Francois Margot wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>>> And what about the Web interface of the COIN site? No way to get the
>>> complete messages archived?
>>
>> Good point, now that you mention it.  Yes, there are apparently issues with
>> digesting and archiving mail in which the body is included in an
>> attachment. There may be a fix for this in an upcoming version of Mailman,
>> but I don't know when/if we'll see that in the current Red Hat Enterprise
>> Linux offering. There are other archiving programs available that support
>> Mailman, but I'm not in a position to try them out at this point.  Maybe in
>> the future...
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'll urge list posters to make sure that their mail clients are
>> configured so that message bodies are in plain text (not HTML) and are not
>> wrapped in attachments.
>
> Isn't it possible to bounce messages not in plain text?

This list is aready configured to convert HTML messages to plain text.
The issue is with attachments and only comes up when the message body is
encapsulated.  Some mail clients (most notably from a particular large
vendor of OS and productivity software that shall remain nameless) do this
by default when they send plain text and HTML copies of the body or when
there are other attachments.

>> I'll also urge text-mode digest readers to alter their subject lines when
>> they reply.  And I'll point out that replying to a digest rather than an
>> individual message (whether original or in a MIME-format digest) can break
>> threading in mail readers and in the archiver.
>
> The problem is that if you ask to receive the digest, either you answer
> to the digest (and will likely break the thread, even if the subject is
> altered) or you don't answer at all. As far as I know, there is no way to
> get an individual message sent to you after receiving the message in a
> digest, or is there?

If you get your digests in MIME format and your mail reader is MIME aware,
each individual message is attached in its entirety and you can read it
and reply to it as if you had received it separately.

I'm currently using Pine as my mail reader.  It shows me MIME-format
Mailman digests in a form I can scroll through, but when I view
attachments I can select individual messages and reply to them.
Attachments to indivdual messages don't show in the scroll view, but are
accessible in the selector view.

If you can't handle MIME, then you're right, you are kind of stuck.
(Except for for the ancient and venerable Unix Mail and mail, I think most
clients can handle MIME these days, though some may be better than
others.)  The threader in the archive will do its best to try to fix
broken threads, but I don't know well different mail clients handle them.

You can set your preference for MIME format at list.coin-or.org.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences