[Coin-lpsolver] Re: Suggestions for OsiCpx

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at engr.pitt.edu
Wed May 4 14:37:41 EDT 2005

kevin.c.furman at exxonmobil.com wrote:
> Ted,
>
> Since COIN is open source, shouldn't Jean-Sebastian simply be able to
> upload his revised version of the code with his updates onto the server?

No.  Each project has one or more people who are authorized to actually
commit changes to the project.  This provides a quality-control check
for submitted code and prevents coders with differences of opinion from
constantly writing over each others' changes.  It also provides an
important legal check, so that we can be more confident that
contributions are made legally.

It also introduces some administrative overhead, unfortunately.

Note that if a user gains respect over time by submitting high-quality
contributions and demonstrating concern for a particular project, then
at some point they may be given authorization to commit changes themselves.

The fact that the code is open-source means that anyone could take the
code, make any changes they like, and redistribute it on their own (as
long as they follow the terms of the license).  In this sense there is
no user lock-in;  if COIN-OR becomes so bad at administering the
projects and responding to users' needs that someone feels they would be
better off doing it themselves, then they are free to copy all the code
and administer their own "forks" of the projects.

We are working to make COIN-OR faster at responding to submissions; if
you have specific suggestions for improving, we'd be happy to hear them
(I say "we", because I am a member of the COIN-OR Strategic Leadership
Board).  You could email me directly or put the suggestion on
coin-discuss if you prefer a public forum.

Brady

--
Brady Hunsaker
Assistant Professor