[Coin-lpsolver] CLP Presolve

Matthew Galati magh at lehigh.edu
Tue Jul 29 16:29:37 EDT 2003

> I have fixed on main branch (and on development branch where it is
> CoinPresolve....).  An array was not long enough for this odd shaped
> problem - 5833 rows and only 23 columns and 437 elements.

Thanks John!

> As to your questions:
>
> 1) CoinPresolve does not produce a proof of infeasibility - it just
> declares the problem infeasible.  Presumably it could produce a proof.
>  I suspect that the problem could be proved to be infeasible by presolve
> only in first few iterations.

So, if presolve determines the problem infeasible, and then I call
resolve( ), it won't speed anything up? The problems I am looking at are
feasibility problems with an exponential number of variables - solved
with column generation. So, if presolve could return a proof of
infeasibility without ever going into simplex - that would be great. Is
that possible?

> 2)  Which codes provide multiple rays?  If others do and people think it
> is a good idea then I can look into it.

I meant that there may exist multiple rays - there is no code I know of
to extract them. Once upon a time, Ted Ralphs and I wrote a routine
using CPX to do this by searching through the basis inverse. I can dig
around to find this, clean it up to make it OsiCpx (and perhaps OsiClp)
friendly and contribute. Hopefully, we can then make it work for other
solvers.

Matt

--
Matthew Galati