[Coin-lpsolver] CLP and Matlab, perfect together?

David de la Nuez dmd57 at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 16 11:52:26 EST 2003

Hello friends and colleagues!  I am PhD student of Don Goldfarb at Columbia
University in the City of New York, and a brand-new member of this
discussion list.  We are considering replacing cplex as an LP solver in our
work, for reasons I will spare you at the moment.

The issue at hand is that I live in Matlab, so to speak.  While I have
coded in several different languages / environments, so many things are so
easy in Matlab that the early decision was made to use it (other
complications I will also spare you).  I had been using Mikael Prytz's
"cplex mex"  Matlab interface for cplex 6.5 for a number of months and
modified it (open source is the best!) to work with cplex 8.

I would be thrilled to use an open source LP solver which is known to be of
industrial strength.  I am aware of GNU's LP package, but shied away from
it, not having any reference for how good it was.  Enter COIN LP -- it
seems the ideal solution.  However, the dearth of documentation and my lack
of familiarity with C++ (have not used it for more than four years!) cast
doubt on my belief that I could put together a Matlab interface for CLP in
a reasonable amount of time.

I suppose, then, after the long introduction above, that I would like to
know if anyone in the community could help me out in creating a Matlab
interface for CLP, or at least a raw version I could gradually improve on
my own.  At some point in the future a move to pure C/C++ would make a lot
of sense for my project, but now is not the time (yet another long story).

The functionality I need is not too much.  I need to be able to create an
LP, solve it, add columns, solve it, etc -- I am using some column
generation, as you might have guessed.  I need to be able to manipulate the
entering rule (i.e. use Dantzig and steepest edge or some other rule) and
some options like number of iterations, etc.  It would be great if someone
could help me get started or at least if we could get a discussion going.

By the way, it appears that Prytz's "cplex mex" is no longer available
anywhere (at least not via a Google search).  If anyone would like it
and/or my "updated" hacked version for cplex 8, let me know.

P.S. Anyone from New Jersey might "get" the subject header of my
email.  For those who don't, "New Jersey and you, perfect together" was the
state slogan years ago.

David de la Nuez
dmd57 at columbia.edu
http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/~oboeguy

"The object of education is not the production of self-confident fools."
	- Jerome Bruner