[CHiPPS] Questions on Blis

Alessandro Tiberi alessandro.tiberi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:58:14 EDT 2009

Yan, thank you for your answers.
> 1) The 0% printed in log is truncated. Its actual value is something like 0.0001%.
>  A separated issue is that the gap parameters of Blis doesn't work. Need fix.

I guess it should go something like this: when the master process
receives a solution whose value is between the gap, it  should send a
termination message to all the other processes, right?

> 2) For parallel runs, the best bound will be updated periodically, so sometimes it doesn't move.

This does make sense. However I could not find an example in which the
best bound is ever updated... do you happen to have any?
> 3) I tried to incorporate COIN's presolve, but couldn't make it work, so I quit. If you can contribute yours, that's great!

I am attaching a tgz with the three files I had to modify: BlisModel.h,
BlisModel.cpp and BlisTreeNode.cpp. My changes/addition are enclosed in
comments like // AT , so should be easy to spot.
I tested it only with clp as solver, but it seems to be fine (for both
serial and parallel build). If you want to test it remember
-Blis_presolve 1 :-)
> 4) Blis stores nodes by differencing to save memory, subtrees are sorted of compressed. Probably, it need functionality to store subtrees in hard drive.

Do you thing that adding a "compressing" wrapper  to the node
description would help? I was thinking of something like zipping the
description of not used nodes before storing them... if this makes any
sense. Thank you again!

Best,
Alessandro